Piglets (Emily’s 12’6 CLC kaholo sup) has had edges trimmed and been sanded smooth and a new fin box put in!! Very exciting. Also fiberglassed the bottom of the board yesterday afternoon! I can’t wait to take it out, the weather has been favorable.










Fin I purchased off of eBay from windward board shop for $28. It’s a 9″ clear fin made by Dorsai. Did not come with a fin box screw though. Also purchased the fin box through the same seller. Have screws coming in the mail.

Next I will have to figure out the deck pad and paint situation. Plan is to use pink automotive paint with the help of a friend Kyle and then do metal flake and get piglet some glitter!

I missed a lot of the sanding (oh no…).  Marc rounded out the edges, and sanded down the entire board with up to 220-grit paper.  Also went ahead and installed the fin box he ordered.  We’ve decided to not use the fins supplied by CLC.  Neither of us feel they are quite long enough for great tracking.

The benefits of installing your own fin box really outweigh the difficulty of the install.  You can change out the fins length depending on the water depth, or if there are a lot of weeds, if you decide to race or turf the board.  You can even make your own fins.

To install the fin box we had to find the center, make sure everything was level.  Cut a rectangle out, cut a piece of foam out as well to nestle it into.  We then made sure it fit.  Then the board broke, so we had to repair that.

After we repaired the rest, we forged on.  Here is the photographic evidence of forging.

This is how we went about putting the hole in the board.

Looks pretty good after we sanded it down and made sure it was perfectly flush and smooth.  The gap where the fin inserts will be filled with clay so we can fiberglass over it.  and then cut it out at the end.

Repairs are coming along.  After a few emails between us and CLS Boats we came up with  a plan.  The plan was to create butt joints along the side walls, repair the sheer clamps and reinforce within using scraps.  The tricky part was re-leveling everything.  There are some rougher looking spots.  Not to mention where I scuffed right through the first layer with a sander.  It gives her some character.  She could be on Maury.


So onto describing photos!  Side walls had to be removed with a multi-max tool which was perfect.  Sliced flush along the seam with no issues.  If you don’t have this tool-get one.  Very handy.  Damaged walls were removed and new ones cut to fit and butt joint in.  Used many many clamps to re install.  After a second application of peanut butter fill-it-ing mush it was ready for epoxy and another go at gluing the deck on.  This time we placed it on the ground.  Used pieces of wood and bags of sand to glue the top down.  It worked like a charm.

Soon we’ll be ordering up the 12’6″ kit.  I am excited and can’t sleep, so I’ve decided to catch up with the blog.

Last I left, we had taken to the fates and cut a rectangle into the perfectly good board and epoxied the frame for the fin box.  While we inspected the fins supplied in the kit we noticed they have quite the fiberglass edges on them.  Somehow Marc knew fiberglass rope existed and recommended we try using it to reinforce the nose of the board. This step is not included in the manual and so we winged it.

The rope was ordered from e-bay and we attached it with epoxy last night.  First off, it reminds me of embroidery thread.  It’s made to be peeled apart to the thickness desired. It was taped in place and then we put some epoxy over it.  The next morning Marc mixed up a batch of epoxy thickened with cell-o-fill (silica thickening sent with the kit) and applied it.  By evening it was ready for sanding and a little shaping since he was looking for a sharp edge.

Why go through extra trouble with this step? We figured it would help reinforce and protect the front edge of board when crashing into rocks and getting out and onto shore.  If it doesn’t really pay off, it’s not the end of the world.  Fiber glass rope is inexpensive.

First photo is actually a photo of the tools we made for spreading peanut butter.  We think they worked wonderfully.  Also visible is the boards emily-incuded-owwie.

This is where we make it more complicated.  Marc ordered a fin box.

If you are not familiar with a fin box here is the jist.  It’s a plastic piece that you can install  allowing removable/adjustable fins on your board.  Why?  If you think you may share the board with others it’s helpful to make sure the fin(s) are in the water or else the board has no tracking and will be a pain in the butt to try to steer.  The kit comes with two fins you can permanently fiberglass on.  Marc is going to install the two, but also a single fin box in the center between the two to add an adjustable fin.  You can both buy and make fins yourself.  Installing the fin box gives the user the ability to move them forward or back depending on what feels comfortable.  I want one in my kit also.

It has not been installed yet because it is scary to take a perfectly great build so far and cut a rectangle in the bottom.

Until now!

It was kind of scary, luckily Christy was there to supervise.  Marc measured out the center of the kit between the tail and last bulk head.  Then cut two wooden “frames” to sandwich around a piece of foam board cut to size.  After marking out the placement with tape and double checking it’s location several times it was time to cut.  To get the jig saw in  a hole was drilled .  It was some scary stuff kids. I will upload the scary and boring videos (as determined by Christy)at a later time.  Until then we have photos to share. Big suprise there.